The Point Iroquois Lighthouse has been on the National Register of Historic Places since 1975. It overlooks Lake Superior at the entry of the St. Mary’s River, according to Hiawatha National Forest officials who just announced plans for a multi-year historic preservation effort on the lighthouse. It was constructed in 1855 to help guide vessels toward what is today the Soo Locks.
A wood tower and living quarters were initially constructed, followed by a light two years later. As demand for area resources and water traffic grew, so did the lighthouse. In 1870, the wooden structures were replaced with the 65-foot brick tower and attached living quarters. The lighthouse helped passing ships navigate the waters of Lake Superior for 107 years until the torch was passed to an automatic light off Gros Cap, Ontario, Canada.
Forest staffers are seeking public feedback and comments on the anticipated preservation work being conducted through agreements with its partners, HistoriCorps and YouthWork. The public will have an opportunity to participate as volunteers in historic preservation efforts on lands managed by the Hiawatha National Forest. To apply, visit the HistoriCorps’ website.