Grover broke her leg about two miles from the trailhead while returning from a 6-mile round trip day hike. She holed up along a creek at 4,500 feet and slept under a poncho for protection at night. Daytime temperatures were in the 50s and 60s. That thin layer helped reduce the chilling effects of the wind on nights with freezing temperatures. Read more: Hiker Survives
- Geospatial PDFs point hikers in right direction on North Country National Scenic Trail
- Grand River coho salmon run expected to be hot
- Brook trout study explores life-giving groundwater seeps
- Michigan’s Important Bird Areas Flag Conservation Priorities
- North Country Trail offers unique hiking opportunity near Grand Rapids
After more than 25 years in the outdoor writing business, you would think I'd know better.